Toasted Coconut Creme Pie
This recipe is AMAZING. Coconut Creme Pie is an Easter tradition in our family. It was my Papa’s favorite, my moms and dads too. I immediately called my mom to tell her how amazing this pie is! Make this pie, you will not be disappointed.
- 1 Ruffled Apron Foods Almond Nut Crust, BAKED
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup toasted, shredded sweetened coconut (see instructions below for toasting your coconut)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 large egg
- 1 (14oz.) can coconut milk (not lite, organic preferred)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F. Thaw out crust while oven preheats. Then place crust in oven for 10-14 minutes, or until almonds are golden brown. Let crust cool.
- Toast Coconut on baking sheet at 350F for 10-15 minutes, stirring throughout. Let cool.
- For filling, in medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, flour and salt until blended. Add in half & half, coconut milk, and egg. Whisk until it is lump-free. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil for about 5-10 minutes or until thick, whisking frequently. Take off heat and stir in toasted coconut and vanilla. Pour into cooled Nut Crust. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top. Refrigerate until filling is cool, at least 4 hours.
- For whipped cream, add all ingredients in mixing bowl. Beat on high for 1 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Spread it over pie or dollop on each piece when serving. Top with coconut if desired.
Recipe adapted from my favorite pie cookbook, “First Prize Pies” by Allison Kave.